Grumman UF-1/SA-16/HU-16
Albatross/Goat


   In November 1944, the U.S. Navy placed an order with Grumman Aircraft for two Model G-64 amphibians, designated XJR2F-1 Pelican. These aircraft were to be successors to the JRF Goose utility amphibian but they would be larger, have more powerful engines and possess all-weather capability. The first flight was on 1 October 1947; the second prototype was delivered in May 1948.
   When the U.S. Air Force was established in September 1947, it was tasked with providing worldwide air-sea rescue (ASR) and they needed a new aircraft to accomplish their mission. In May 1948, the U.S. Navy placed an order with Grumman for 58 production G-64s with the name "Albatross." The order included 32 PF-1A patrol amphibians and six UF-1 utility aircraft for the USN and 20 SA-16A ASR aircraft for the USAF. In November 1948, the USN ordered 167 Martin P5M-1 Marlins and because this aircraft was superior to the PF-1A in the maritime reconnaissance role, the Navy lost interest in the PF-1A and all were delivered to the USAF as SA-16As. The SA-16A made its first flight on 20 July 1949.
   The Navy's first UF-1 made its first flight on 30 December 1949. The Navy went on to receive a total of 94 UF-1s for use as utility transports. Variants of the UF-1 were the 83 UF-1Gs for the U.S. Coast Guard. Thirty one were ordered by the Navy and transferred, 15 were ordered by the USAF and transferred, and 37 were USAF SA-16As transferred to the Coast Guard. The two UF-1Ls were winterized aircraft for use during Operation "Deep Freeze" in Antarctica and the five UF-1Ts were UF-1s modified as navigation trainers and delivered to the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland.
   In April 1955, the USAF approached Grumman with a request to modify their SA-16As to significantly improve the performance at the least possible cost. The Grumman Design G-111 called for a longer wing, increased fuel, changes to the vertical and horizontal tail surfaces and the wings. The USAF approved the changes and 86 SA-16As were modified to SA-16Bs beginning in January 1956.
   The USN and USCG also used a modified aircraft similar to the SA-16B but built to the Grumman G-211 design number. Thirty three UF-1s were modified to UF-2s; 19 other aircraft intended for transfer to foreign countries were also designated UF-2s. The USCG modified 78 of their UF-1Gs to the SA-16B standard and these were designated UF-2Gs.

In 1962, the three branches of the U.S. military introduced a new tri-service system of identifying aircraft. All UFs and SA-16s in service on that date were re-designated U-16s. The new designations were:

HU-16A: All remaining USAF SA-16As
HU-16B: All remaining USAF SA-16Bs
HU-16C: All remaining USN UF-1s
LU-16C: All remaining USN UF-1Ls
TU-16C: All remaining USN UF-1Ts
HU-16D: All remaining USN UF-2s
HU-16E: All remaining USCG UF-2Gs
By Jack McKillop
"A" Model "B" Model
Length 60' 7" 62' 9"
Wingspan 80' 0" 96' 8"
Height 24' 5" 25' 10"
Horiz Stab 29' 0" 31' 0"
Wing Area 883 sq ft 1,035 sq ft
Beam 7' 11" 7' 11"
Main Gear Track 17' 8" 17' 8"
Service Ceiling 25,000 ft 25,000 ft
Empty Weight 20,800 lbs
Max TOW
- Land 33,000 lbs
- Water 29,500 lbs
- Triphibian 29,000 lbs
Fuel Capacity
"A" Model "B" Model
Wing Tanks 675 gal 675 gal
Floats - ea 210 gal 210 gal
Total Internal 1,095 gal 1,095 gal
Ext tanks
- MK8 300 gal 300 gal
- MK12 150 gal 150 gal
- MK4 100 gal 100 gal
Engines
"A" Model "B" Model
Model R-1820-76 R-1820-76
- HP 1,425 HP 1,425 HP
Model R-1820-82 R-1820-82
- HP 1,525 HP 1,525 HP
Propellers
Model Hamilton
43D50 - 3 Blade
Hamilton
43D50 - 3 Blade
Diameter 11 ft 11 ft
Ground Clearance 8 ft 8 ft
Water Clearance 4 ft 4 ft


Copyright 2000NASGIVM  All rights reserved.
Revised: June 30, 2010